Hope, whose whisper would have given
Balm to all my frenzied pain,
Stretched her wings, and soared to heaven,
Went, and ne’er returned again! by Emily Jane Brontë
Dr Mhabak was our dear companion in the school of Arts at the University of Liverpool. We used to discuss the initiatives and the progress of these project series a lot. She was an inspiring young lady, an encouraging colleague, a dedicated and strong scholar, and very kind and caring to those who knew and worked with her. It is now with great sorrow that we mourn and try to come to terms with her departure as we keep her in our minds forever. We think of her family at this time and our prayers and reflections are with them.
In honour of her literary contributions and magnificent intellectual presence, the project directors at Embodiments and New Frontiers in Literature, Science, and Medical Humanities at the University of Liverpool will allocate Dr Mhabak Memorial Grant 2012-13 to two postgraduate students for conference attendance during next summer. The conference cfp, attending keynote speakers and poets, key lectures and joint events will be announced in due course. Also further particulars regarding these two grants will follow shortly, so watch this pace.
LightNight Liverpool Returns!
From 4pm-Late on Friday 18 May 2012
Locations across Liverpool city centre, most events FREE…
Rediscover the city with your friends and family, as Liverpool is illuminated with unexpected happenings and exciting activities late into the night.
LightNight unlocks the doors of our world-class museums and galleries, heritage sites and cathedrals, staging over 60 free events to inspire and delight visitors of all ages.
It’s time to put the date in your diary and start inviting friends and family to Liverpool for our big annual arty party!
Full programme to be announced 20 April 2012
Some of the early highlights:
- Enjoy the Rolf Harris exhibition launch at the Walker Art Gallery plus poetry and live music in the galleries
- Stroll through the Candle-lit Labyrinth at the Metropolitan Cathedral
- Be dazzled by architectural light projections
- Explore the Galápagos exhibition, special activities, food, drink and unique shops at the Bluecoat
- Travel to the future at FACT with Robots and Avatars, plus a dance party with a difference outside on Art House Square
- Travel back in time at Tate Liverpool’s Razzle Dazzle – music, dancing and film inspired by 1940s Hollywood glamour plus family printmaking
- Arena Studios & Gallery presents The Factory (Andy Warhol inspired!) where you can create a unique piece of art with the assistance of Arena’s ‘art workers’
- Try your hand at drawing from life with the Liver Sketching Club
- Enjoy James and the Giant Peach brought to life with shadow puppetry at The Brink Liverpool
- See the Baltic Triangle come alive with art, open studios, live music and aerial dance
- Spark your curiosity at Red Wire for their Open studios and fair featuring art, curious crafts and creative zines from resident artists
- A rare chance to see Liverpool Town Hall enlivened with theatrical performance
- The Big Dance Schools Pledge at St George’s Hall – part of the national world record attempt!
- Be moved by powerful photography exhibitions by Richard Mosse, Simon Norfolk at Open Eye Gallery
- Party late at Light & Sound – The Light Night & Sound City joint after show party
- Contemporary jewellery exhibition Transplantation at the Bluecoat Display Centre
Plus more special events at:
Sign up to receive news and the full programme on the right-hand side of the page or follow us on Twitter and Facebook
If you want to stage an event for LightNight please see: http://culture.org.uk/2012/02/01/call-for-events-light-night-2012/